Record Store Day takes place this year on Saturday 18th April. Southampton doesn’t have any shops officially participating in the event, but it does have shops and they will be open for business as usual, fully stocked albeit not with any exclusive releases. Open on Saturday will be Back-Tracks (Woolston), Boo Hoo Records (St Mary’s), and Oxfam Music (Central), as well as the Edgeworld Pop-Up shop at The Alexandra and the regular USR record fair taking place at the Solent University Conference Centre.
Record Store Day is an annual event, founded in 2007, held on the third Saturday of April each year to to celebrate the culture of the independently owned record store. The day brings together fans, artists, and thousands of independent record stores across the world. A number of records are pressed specifically for Record Store Day, and are only distributed to shops participating in the scheme.
Forget about all the exclusives, just go and find some great music. 5 independent places to visit, 1000s of records for sale, pick up some new fresh vinyl this Saturday afternoon.
— Mark James (SOUL 45)
Here’s more info on the vinyl outlets in Southampton:
- Back-Tracks (28 Victoria Road, Woolston, SO19 9DX, )
- Boo Hoo Records (88 Northam Road, St Mary’s, SO14 0NZ, )
- Oxfam Music (1 East Street, SO14 3HE)
- Edgeworld Pop-Up (The Alexandra Beer Emporium, 6 Bellevue Road, SO15 2AY)
- USR Record Fair (Solent University Conference Centre, Above Bar Street, SO14 7NN)
Update: Beatnik Emporium have been in touch to say they have a “modest but fairly good selection” of records. If anyone knows of any other shops around town stocking wax, please get in touch!
- Beatnik Emporium (202 Above Bar Street, SO14 7DW)
And, if you’re willing to travel a bit, there are six record stores within a 20 mile radius of Southampton that are officially participating in Record Store Day 2015:
- Hundred Records (47 The Hundred, Romsey, SO51 8GE)
- Reflex Records (94 High Street, Gosport, PO12 1DS)
- Reflex Records (2 Marmion Road, Southsea, PO5 2BA)
- Pie & Vinyl (59-61 Castle Road, Southsea, PO5 3AY)
- The Vault (1 Castle Street, Christchurch, BH23 1DP)
- Rose Red Records (3 Royal Arcade, Boscombe, Bournemouth, BH1 4BT)